Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) sheet is a compound commonly used to produce a variety of gaskets and fabricated rubber parts. The properties of this sheet make it a versatile material to use for fabricating gaskets and parts which service a range of applications and industries.
What is PTFE sheet?
PTFE sheet is a non-toxic fluorocarbon-based polymer, often referred to as Teflon® sheet as polytetrafluoroethylene is the main constituent of the compound (Teflon® is a registered trademark of The Chemours Corporation). PTFE sheet has the following properties and characteristics:
- It is chemically inert in most applications and possesses excellent chemical resistance.
- It has an extremely low coefficient of friction.
- It can be used in high temperature applications, while retaining flexibility in low temperature applications.
- It has good electrical insulation properties.
- PTFE sheet that conforms to FDA requirements and regulations is available for food-grade and pharma applications.
- It is soft and pliable, making for flexible and easy-to-install parts.
These properties make PTFE sheet and excellent material to use for producing gaskets and parts which support demanding applications with harsh operating or environmental conditions.
PTFE gaskets and rubber parts: materials used by CRG
CRG uses a range of PTFE sheets to produce finished gaskets and parts. Sheets we commonly use include the following:
- Teadit TF1570 (equivalent to Garlock Gylon 3504 and Durlon 9000). A restructured sheet filled with glass microspheres, this sheet is suitable for service with a wide variety of aggressive fluids, including hydrocarbons, acids, solvents, water, steam, hydrogen-peroxide, refrigerants, etc. The high compressibility of this style makes it particularly suitable for use with stress sensitive and/or fragile flanged joints, e.g. glass, ceramics, plastic, etc. The gasket material was tested to be in conformity with FDA requirement Method 21 CFR 177.1550.
- Teadit TF1580 (equivalent to Garlock Gylon 3510 and Durlon 9200W). This barium sulphate-filled sheet is suitable for general service involving a wide variety of fluids, strong caustics, moderate acids, chlorine, gases, water, steam, hydrocarbons, hydrogen and aluminum fluoride.
- Teadit TF1590 (equivalent to Garlock Gylon 3500). This silica-filled sheet is suitable for services with high pressures and temperature, especially in chemical processing and hydrocarbon plants in strong acids (except hydrofluoric), solvents, hydrocarbons, water, steam, and chlorine.
- Teadit Quimflex 24SH (equivalent to Garlock Gylon 3545 and Durlon 9600). 24SH gasket sheet is manufactured by expanding 100% virgin PTFE using a proprietary process that produces a uniform and highly fibrillated microstructure with equal tensile strength in all directions. The resulting product exhibits characteristics significantly different than conventional PTFE sheet – it is much softer and more flexible than regular PTFE sheet, thus conforming easily to irregular and rough surfaces. In addition, 24SH sheet is easier to compress and minimizes creep and cold flow. 24SH sheet complies to FDA regulations for food contact and EU 1935/2004. It is an all-purpose gasket sheet that can replace all other types of PTFE sheet. This sheet will seal all aggressive chemicals over the entire 0-14 pH range, except for molten alkali metals and elemental fluorine. Made from 100% virgin PTFE, 24SH sheet not only resists chemical attack, but it will not contaminate or discolour end products.
- Texolon 9406. This sheet is suitable for producing PTFE gaskets for aggressive media applications, especially where extra rigidity and wear are required. With physical properties comparable to those of premium glass-filled PTFE skived sheet, Texolon 9406 is an excellent cost-effective alternative to more expensive glass-filled PTFE skived sheets.
CRG can supply a diverse range of gaskets and rubber parts fabricated from PTFE sheet. All parts are custom-manufactured to each customer’s requirements and specifications using the latest production equipment and techniques. Every aspect of our production is quality-assured under our ISO 9001:2105 quality management system. Our experienced team is available to help with material selection and each step of production, from prototyping to final part manufacture. To find out more about the PTFE gaskets and rubber parts we can supply, please contact our sales team at firstname.lastname@example.org.